Covers/Summaries
International
Large Covers
Latest
Spoilers




About Them
El Carro/SVH
Fave/Worst
Picturized
Today's Time




Acronyms
Agree/Disagree
Chupa Chups
Fan Art
Fan fic
Freebies
Funky
Letters from editors
Match It Up
Polls
What if?
What's the deal?




Awards
Banners
Contact Us
Disclaimer
Guest book
Link Me
Links
Other awards
Picky
Rock On
Thanks heaps!
Themes




Clubs
Home
Links
Online diary







Chapter three – That’s the way life goes

Melissa Fox was lounging about by the pool on Tuesday afternoon, after Cheerleading Practice. Tonight she would be going out with Tom McKay for the second time in two days. She went out with him last night at Guidos, and he was so sweet, and now she was going out somewhere different, she could hardly wait. Melissa took a sip of her orange juice and jangled the ice that was still inside. Yep, this was the life. Her, Tom, and well her and Tom. Melissa grinned easily. He wanted her too, it was just the way he looked at her. They might even go to the Prom together, wow, the prom is only 4 weeks away, the Cheerleading Nationals are 2 and a half. It looks like I have some work to do. Melissa then decided that it was such a hot day, she may as well go swimming. So she leaped into the water, not a care in the world, which was a vast improvement over feeling all alone in the world.

Elizabeth Wakefield wondered where Evan Plummer was these days. She hadn’t seen much of him. She headed toward his place after Cheerleading. She hadn’t really been to his place very often. But she knew it was just down the road from Andy’s, so she decided to pay them both a social chat. As Elizabeth was driving toward their place in the Jeep, humming along to the radio. She noticed how quiet the neighborhood seemed. It must be lovely to live here. Elizabeth then knocked on Evan’s door. The door suddenly opened, and there was a man standing there. He looked very tired and withdrawn. Elizabeth didn’t hope she was interrupting anything. “Uh, hi, is Evan there?” came Elizabeth’s voice. “Uh, yeah, I’ll just get him.” Said Evan’s Dad. “Thanks.” Replied Liz. Elizabeth was just staring at the framing on the door, wondering what was going on, when Evan appeared at the door, with a weird look on his face. “Hey Liz, what are you doing here?” he asked. “Um, I was just in the neighborhood, and thought I’d pay a visit, I am going to see if Andy’s home as well, it seems like ages since we all chatted to each other.” Liz replied. Evan blanched, when he heard Andy’s name said. “Uh, are you and Andy not talking to each other or something?” Elizabeth asked quite straight up about it all. “Oh na Liz, nothing like that.” Evan said brushing it off. “Oh, well I can see I’ve interrupted something, I better go.” Liz said, wondering what she hoped to achieve from seeing Evan anyway. Well they had gotten close, and she had wanted to see if he was alright, and judging from his look, things were not alright, but what could she do anyway.

Evan Plummer stared down the drive way as Elizabeth hopped into the Jeep. Just a few weeks ago, they had been really close, but then Conner had come back from rehab, with a new girlfriend, and Elizabeth hadn’t been the same since. At first, she was all vulnerable, and ready to kick the bucket, but now she seemed just different. Evan sighed, wishing he could have been more open with Elizabeth. But this was his problem, not hers, so why should he get her involved anyway. Evan wondered when his father or mother would move out. So far, they were going to get a divorce, but they had not decided who would get the house, and Evan for that matter.

Jessica Wakefield was behind the counter at HOJ that evening, working a shift with Daniel, who was out the back, getting stock to refill the counters with. The place was quiet for a Wednesday evening. Jessica took in a deep breath, as she was wiping the counter down, waiting for anyone at all to come in, and buy some coffee or what not. Just then, Jessica heard the front door open. She looked up, and in an instant, flushed a deep colour. Tom McKay and Melissa Fox had just entered together. “Hey Jess.” Came Tom’s warm voice. “Hey Tom. Melissa.” Jessica replied, saying Melissa’s voice very stiffly. Melissa just smiled. “Can I please have an iced vanilla latte.” Jessica just nodded. Tom looked at the menu overhead. “Hmm, just a hot chocolate thanks.” He said smiling. “Sure.” Said Jessica as she got working on those. She handed them over the counter. “Thanks.” Said Tom, as he took his, and Melissa just smiled demurely. “Yeah, thanks Jessica.” She said innocently, taking hers in her hand. Jessica just stared. “No problem.” Jessica was so over Melissa and her petty games, whatever they were. Besides, Jessica had seen Melissa lying on the beach, after the party, where she had been publicly humiliated, that had to be enough to knock anyone down a bit on confidence. Jessica just looked at the clock. 9:34. Hmm, her shift would be ending soon. That was something to be grateful for. She didn’t really want to watch Tom and Melissa get close. But she was semi grateful, that Melissa was a bit happier, because when she was depressed, things could get out of hand.

Melissa Fox had been out on the most perfect evening. Her and Tom, had gone to La Jaques, an exclusive restaurant in Sweet Valley, where the food had been delicious. Melissa had had chicken in a plum sauce, with delicate vegetables, whereas Tom had had, steak and vegetables. Then they had both had desserts of ice cream and fruit salad. They then had taken a walk along the beach, and just enjoyed each others company. And now, they were sitting in HOJ about to enjoy their hot drinks. It was a pity that Jessica was on shift, but that wouldn’t bring Melissa down. She was glad she had Tom, and as long as Jessica was here, she wasn’t out destroying her. Which made Melissa all too happy. She snuggled into Tom, waiting for a reaction from Jessica. She loved to rile that girl up. But instead, she got a small squeeze from Tom, which made her heart race. Forgetting Jessica, she looked up into his green eyes, completely mesmerized. In an instant, she wished this night would never end.

Elizabeth Wakefield was watching Jerry Springer on late night television in the family den, and eating ice cream. What was wrong with Evan? Why did he seem so withdrawn and taken back when she went there. He almost seemed cold. But what did I do? Elizabeth wondered. Maybe it wasn’t him and Andy that were fighting at all. Maybe it was all toward Elizabeth. Elizabeth suddenly couldn’t hold back. The tears that were threatening her eyes for weeks, suddenly poured out. Conner leaving her, because she hadn’t been totally honest, and didn’t mention dating Evan when he was in rehab. Her own feelings were so up the creek, that she had been trying to hide what she was really feeling. And then the fact that she couldn’t handle, when other guys flirted with her, it reminded her too much of Conner at the beginning of the year. Elizabeth just stared at the screen. What was she meant to do anyway? She already decided moving on was the best option, but she couldn’t help looking back. She really missed Conner. And she knew it deep down.

Conner McDermott was watching television, disinterested. He was flicking through the channels, and decided to settle on Jerry Springer. This should be interesting. It was a segment on men dressing up as women. He watched as some guy lunged at another. Conner just laughed. These people were way too dramatic. It was the ‘whole’ just being in front of camera thing. These people really acted it up, Conner thought. Elizabeth cheated on him, and wasn’t honest about it. That’s all it really came down to. No dilemmas, no fights. That was just the cold hard truth. It didn’t need to be dramatized like on Jerry Springer, nope. And Alanna probably was the best person for him at the moment. Even though she was a bit insecure. Yeah, I could probably ring her, or not. Maybe some time apart will do wonders. Conner thought, flipping on to his side.

Journal entries

Elizabeth Wakefield
Ugh, why am I suddenly as tough as bricks, and then I fall down instantly. I don’t need Conner, I don’t need Conner. Yeah, let’s see how well I hold up at school tomorrow.

Conner McDermott
I need a new identity. I need to go to a new school. I don’t want to go back to school. I could just do something like joining a band and living off that.

Jessica Wakefield
I need to call Jeremy, first thing tomorrow. Right now, I’m going to go hug my sheets and pillows, as I hear them calling.

Melissa Fox
Oh wow, I had the most awesome time out tonight. I can’t wait to see Tom again. We still haven’t kissed or anything yet, we are still getting to know each other, but really, what is there to know about me. Yeah, I guess, there’s loads, but some of that stuff is in the past.