Covers/Summaries
International
Large Covers
Latest
Spoilers




About Them
El Carro/SVH
Fave/Worst
Picturized
Today's Time




Acronyms
Agree/Disagree
Chupa Chups
Fan Art
Fan fic
Freebies
Funky
Letters from editors
Match It Up
Polls
What if?
What's the deal?




Awards
Banners
Contact Us
Disclaimer
Guest book
Link Me
Links
Other awards
Picky
Rock On
Thanks heaps!
Themes




Clubs
Home
Links
Online diary







Chapter Ten – Heart beat

Melissa was all dressed up for Lila’s party that night, she couldn’t wait to see Will. The thoughts she had had earlier about them not being right out of her head. After all, together they made a great couple. Just then Melissa heard a knock on the door. Surprised, she walked downstairs, pass the banister and then down the hall. She swung the door open, to reveal Will rumpling his hair in nervousness. “Um Liss, I know this will come as sudden and everything, but I just don’t think that we’re working together very well.” Melissa didn’t know why, but tears just came down her eyes, she was used to this. And she knew for a fact, that Will was not with another girl, the look told her everything. “I love you Liss, but things have totally changed.” Will backed away slightly probably expecting a nervous breakdown, or just silence. But instead Melissa sighed. “Will, we have been together for ages, through rough and hard times, and I feel the same way.” She said as new tears coursed down her face. “I haven’t felt clicked like we used to.” Melissa just looked sad. “I don’t want to lose you as a friend Will, you’re the best I’ve got.” Melissa said quietly, just turning away, as though not wanting to look him in the eye. “I’m still here Liss.” He said. “Things will be easier this way.” Melissa knew what he was saying was true, but it still hurt, and she never wanted to admit, that she had no idea what to do next, she just attempted a smile and said. “See you at Lila’s Will.” And to her surprise, he just nodded, but he was searching her face, for something. “Don’t worry about me.” Melissa said finally reaching his eye level. Will just tucked his head in, and started walking away. And instead of going back inside, Melissa just stared, with tears in her eyes. This time hadn’t come as that much of a shock, but this was Will. It would be hard to let things change, she hated change after all.

Jessica Wakefield was bouncing her leg as she chatted with a few of the cheerleaders and had her sister beaming at her on the couch next to her. She was chatting to some of her old friends, that she had lost touch with. As long as she doesn’t go back to Enid the drone, Jessica thought surveying the living room for a bit of action. So far the same old early crew had come in. There were the jocks looking for action, and to Jessica’s satisfaction, Melissa Fox and her crew hadn’t arrived yet. But what was odd, was that Will was here, but he looked odd, like something had happened or something. Oh well, I am SO over him Jessica told herself smiling as Tia Ramirez and Andy walked in. The patio doors were open and loud music came in, as well as the nice smell from the kitchen. Jessica sighed, full aware she was at her ex best friends mansion. But Lila had obviously gone all out, and was living it up in the room next door, with her new friends, that she had ditched Jessica for. Just then Jessica saw Cherie Reese and Gina Cho walk through the door, in short little dresses, showing themselves off. And they had the cheek to call her a slut at the beginning of the year. Jessica raised her eyebrows as they passed. They didn’t even look at her. Finally they got the hint. Jessica thought happily. Someone tugged Jessica’s arm, it was Jeremy. “Hey Jess, wanna dance?” he said looking at her in that way that made Jessica shiver. “Dance with me? Only if you’re up to it.” Jessica said as she stood up, in her slip dress, which suited her perfectly. Nothing would ruin this night. It was already perfect. Lila had even been a nice host, and was now smiling at the people coming in. But how long would this last? Jessica thought, thinking of when Melissa entered with that evil glint that she gave out. Well it was no time to worry about the Wicked Witch of the West, Jessica thought as she and Jeremy danced together.

Melissa Fox was driving on her way to Lila’s, grateful that she had her waterproof mascara on. It was working wonders at the moment. Melissa sighed, she just needed to move on, and she knew it. She pulled her light blue porsche into the Fowlers driveway, which was already packed with loads of student cars. The party was in full swing, and Melissa just pulled herself together, as she just walked in, as the door was wide open, and the laughter and dancing was coming from within. Melissa looked up at the Fowler’s mansion taking it all in. It was a very fancy place, and right now, Lila was walking toward her. But instead of being cold or pretending to be nice, her eyebrows just raised, she was glancing at Melissa’s dress. Melissa eyed her defiantly. Lila was probably just jealous or something. “Hey Melissa.” Lila finally said, as she went back to talking with Amy Sutton, who was also looking at Melissa oddly, and then in the opposite direction. A few people had started giggling, and Melissa just ignored them, about to walk out to the patio through the living room, when she spotted something that took her breath away. Jessica Wakefield was dancing with Jeremy Aames, and she was wearing, wearing exactly what Melissa herself was. Melissa opened and closed her mouth, and Jessica spotted her, and she too looked stunned. The others turned. A smile was playing at some of their mouths. How dare Jessica wear the same thing as Melissa!! Melissa just stared, and walked calmly out to the patio, away from their taunting. She needed to calm herself down, it wasn’t that major. But how dare this happen. Melissa sunk on the nearest deck chair outside, trying to relax with the light breeze around her neck. But all she could think about was Will dumping her, Jessica in the same dress, and everyone else taunting. Melissa fell back, more than sure that no one would come and talk to her.

Jessica Wakefield was shooting daggers as Melissa Fox exited the living room. Elizabeth could barely detain her laughter. But she gave Jessica a sympathetic pat, as some of the others just laughed. Jeremy had his eyebrows raised. “Well, if there were two of you walking around, you should have told me.” Jessica gave him a mocking look, when she noticed Will finally looking at her finally. He had a weird look, and Jessica just ignored him. Nobody would have expected Jessica to say what was coming next. “Did you see the look on her face? It was priceless. I wish I had a camera with me. Then we could see the instance that Melissa’s jaw dropped.” A few people laughed, and Jessica grinned back. Lila Fowler just looked like she was on the verge of saying something, but thought better of it, as she went back to talk with her friends. Jessica was NOT going to let Melissa bug her again. Even if the girl did have a bit of fashion sense.

Tom McKay sighed as he finally escaped from those two girls which were so clingy, he found his way out on the patio, and took a walk around, finally hearing some muffled sobs, and he slowly walked around where he saw some deck chairs. And a girl in one of them, all curled up, and looking miserable, as a small amount of light shone on her. “Hey there.” Tom said, as he took a seat next to her. The girl didn’t even look up. “What happened?” he said continuing. Just then her face had snapped up. “I’m fine.” The girl snapped, looking anything but. Her face was blotchy looking in the light, and her hair was a bit matted. Just then he realised the girl. She was Melissa something, one of the cheerleaders. Why hadn’t he seen it when she was curled up. “Listen, do yourself a favour and leave.” The girl said giving him a cold stare. He couldn’t believe her, she sounded in control, but looking at her was another thing. Tom decided on another approach. “I just came to talk to you, I didn’t think you’d bite my head off.” He said his voice light. Melissa just glanced warily at him. “Listen, I’m sorry if things aren’t working out your way.” The bite was back, but not as strong as it was. Her voice was on the border of wavering. “Hey, if you wanted to talk or anything.” Melissa just looked shocked. And finally said, “Whatever.”

Melissa Fox had thought of going back to her car, but having those people see her in tears, would be a bit of a give away, and the last thing she needed was Will chasing her out to the car, and looking like a big fool. At least outside, she had been in peace or so she thought. The guy sitting next to her, was really nice, and understanding, Melissa felt her heart flutter a little bit. He was also really good looking. But she needed to consider other things, like how she was just coming out of a relationship, and how her heart would feel, and of course whether he liked her or not. She was being snappish, and she knew it, but she was shocked at someone approaching her, and trying to talk. It almost left her speechless.

Tom McKay felt really sorry for Melissa, it seemed like she was really unhappy. She wasn’t telling him much, but at least she wasn’t crying, and not talking in that fake voice she used as a cheerleader, she sounded normal, and not at all perky or upbeat. She had troubles. But something seemed weird. Tom was really convinced that he would never like another girl again. And if he ever did, not this one, she seemed too mean and heartless. But this feeling wasn’t something he could pass. And considering she had told him about Will, the jock, who she used to go out with. She used the word used, so maybe they were over or something. Melissa was wiping her eyes, and finally had a smile. She was really pretty, but she was a girl! Why do I feel like I’m falling for her? He asked himself. She was just not his type, but then all the right feelings were there. He might just have to get to know her more.

Melissa Fox had had a good talk with Tom, as she was reapplying make-up in the nearest bathroom, and fixing her face. She couldn’t believe that she had just talked willingly to him. He was so nice, unlike a lot of guys. He seemed mysterious, almost. And for once in a long time, a grin formed itself on Melissa’s lips, as she applied some lipstick, and brushed her hair. Finally she was all set, to show everyone she didn’t care what they thought of her. She glanced at Jessica Wakefield and just smiled, not even Jessica could bring her down in this mood. Will was watching her closely. Probably doesn’t want to let me out of his sight, she thought, as she walked down the steps, into the living room. She saw Tom alright, and he had two girls clinging from his arm. Melissa’s two best friends, Cherie Reese and Gina Cho, in their ultra high skirts.

Tom McKay saw Melissa Fox standing on the top of the stairs, just looking down. Her face said it all. He could hardly take his eyes off her. She looked vulnerable at the moment, just small looking, as her eyes asked a question. Just then the red-haired girl he was dancing with, turned and looked up, and then looked at Tom, and her eyes looked suspicious as Melissa started to walk down the stairs. “Liss.” Came the other girls voice next to her. “Come and dance with us all.” Melissa looked around awkwardly. Her friends were attracting attention. Melissa just walked over to them, and gave Tom a small smile. His heart just beated faster at the sight of her. Why hadn’t he seen it before? Melissa was these girl’s friends, the pixie little cheerleader, that looked perfect. How could he think he was falling for her? He was sure that it was the fumes from the barbeque or something. But Melissa just stood there, half heartedly dancing. Cherie just glanced over at her, now with concern. “Liss is everything okay?” she asked. Melissa just nodded, not really looking at her friend. “I can’t believe that Jessica Wakefield is wearing the same dress as you,” hissed Gina, looking at Jessica with utmost hate. Tom just raised his eyebrows. “You’re not friends with Jessica?” he asked them. “Oh no, we’re not, why are you?” came Cherie’s voice. “I used to know her, but I knew her twin more.” Tom said, thinking of the way that Elizabeth had stuck beside him as a friend, when he decided that he needed counselling for something that seemed less and less these days. Last year, he had decided that girls were not his type at all, and that he was gay. But now he wasn’t so sure, because no guys had caught his eye, not even Andy Marsden who had the vibes. But it can’t be Melissa, that I like, he thought looking at her. She was dawdling with the flower stitch on her lavender slip, and looking slightly put out. Finally Tom asked. “Wanna dance Melissa?” Melissa looked up and gave a small grateful smile as he led them away from her friends, who looked positively livid behind Melissa’s back.

“Well, that’s just typical!” came Cherie Reese’s voice, as Melissa danced with Tom around the room, smiling. “I can’ t believe this, and what about Will?” asked Gina Cho, as she looked slightly pissed off to say the least. “Melissa is not at all like that, and she takes off with the guy that we both like.” Cherie pouted, as she stepped forward. “Well, I’m not letting her get away with it.” Cherie said stepping toward them, and smiling sweetly. “Hey Tom, wanna dance with a lonely single girl?” Cherie asked as she gave Melissa a cold look. Melissa stared back into Cherie’s eye. Her friends were already snubbing her, why not snub back. “Lonely Cherie? But I do believe that there is a whole table over there, that wants to date you.” Melissa said coldly dancing Tom away from her. “How dare you.” Cherie snapped. “You are with Will, Melissa. Remember him? You always take me for granted. But guess what? I am not your follower, and will never be. Get a life, and stick with your own boyfriend.” Cherie’s outburst was followed with silence. And then Melissa let out one last word. “Guess what Cherie? I am single now, why don’t you go ask Will for a dance?” Melissa spat, looking around her with a dreaded look. “As for the rest of you, mind your own business, got an eye problem?” she asked some girl who was googling at her. And with that, Melissa this time, took out through the front door, leaving a gaping Cherie. And then Lila finally said. “Let’s get back to it then?” but looking slightly apprehensive.


Journal entries

Melissa Fox
I can’t believe what just happened? Where to start? Will Simmons came over to my house, dumped me, and then told me he’d see me at the party, I see him there alright, as well as Jessica Wakefield in the same dress as me. Not to mention how people were acting towards me. How embarassing. And then I met a cute guy, of which my friends are playing a game just to get him. It’s sickening. And then Cherie embarasses me in front of everyone. I will NOT let her get away with it.

Tom McKay
This can’t be, I can’t like Melissa Fox, but the way she left, I couldn’t help but feel a little sorry for her, and the way her friends treat her. Maybe I’ll call her up tomorrow.

Lila Fowler
This party will be a success, and the remainder of the cheerleaders will have a slumber party, not even Melissa Fox can ruin my party!